The mission of the Mentorship Match Program (MMP) is to facilitate effective mentorship opportunities so that more of AASP’s student members have the opportunity to gain the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to take on leadership positions within the profession of sport and exercise psychology in the future. Thus, our overall goals are to identify AASP professional and student members who are interested in becoming or developing leaders and to create professional-student matches that facilitate leadership development.
- Identify professional and student members of AASP who are interested in participating in the MMP.
- Match participating mentors and mentees based on criteria such as professional interests, supervision, work style, time availability, and location.
- Foster a mutually beneficial relationship between participants, such that the mentees gain the knowledge, skill, and experience of professional leadership, while the mentors receive assistance with their responsibilities.
- Facilitate effective relationships for the current MMP pairs.
- Have new pairs identified before the next conference.
- Establish a pre-conference program so new MMP pairs can meet, spend time together, and set the foundation for the mentorship.
Pairs for 2013 are currently being created!
2012 MMP Pairs
Mara Ducorsky Frey
2011 MMP Pairs
2010 MMP Pairs
History of MMP
The MMP grew out of a previous initiative, the Student Leadership Pool Registry. The purpose of the registry was to encourage student leaders to continue to serve as leaders once they became professional members of AASP. Although the initiative proposal was accepted, the idea was put on hold until 2009 when the program was reinvented with a new name, clearer purpose, and detailed action plan for achieving its goals.
The pilot phase of the program took place over a ten-month period during the 2009-2010 year, with four professional members (who were themselves serving as committee chairs and on the executive board) and four regional representatives participating in a mentor-mentee relationship.
If you are interested in becoming involved in the MMP initiative either as a mentor or mentee, or if you are interested in facilitating these partnerships, please contact us.