Professional Ethics and Standards in Sport and Exercise Psychology
Online Course: June 15 - October 5, 2016
Tuesday, September 27 from 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, September 28 from 8:00 a.m. - Noon
Click here to register.
For the fifth consecutive year, AASP is partnering with West Virginia University (WVU) to offer a distance-learning course focusing on “Professional Ethics and Standards in Sport and Exercise Psychology”. The program, which begins the week of June 13, was specifically developed to examine important ethical and legal issues that sport and exercise psychology professionals often encounter in their work as teachers, researchers, and practitioners. AASP is also seeking to standardize ethics training for anyone interested in seeking AASP certification.
Dr. Ed Etzel, Professor in the Department of Sport Sciences at WVU and a Certified Consultant (CC-AASP), will be the featured instructor. While the offering will be predominently online, there will be 10 hours of in-person, required instruction held at the conference site just prior to AASP's 2016 Annual Meeting in Phoenix (September 27-28, 2016). A final online exam will end the course. Tuition for the course is $995.
- Introduction to ethics
- Who are you? Competence, credentialing and the impaired professional/student
- Multiple relationships/attraction
- Research and teaching
- Diversity issues
- The law and the practice of Applied Sport Psychology
- Psychological assessment and testing
- Financial concerns in practice and business: Marketing your services
- Obligations to clients and protecting sensitive information: Confidentiality and privacy
Please Note: This course is for continuing education and fulfills AASP prerequisites for certification, but is NOT offered for college or graduate credit.
- June 15: Course Begins
- September 1: Online Course End Date (11 weeks)
- September 27-28: Onsite Module - AASP 2016 Conference in Phoenix (required)
- October 5: Online Exam
- Students will be able to access online course content at any time once they receive course access instructions.
- Course access instructions will be sent to students prior to the start of the course. They will have a WVU login to access the course.
- The course is self-paced.
- The course was built online, so it is neither pre-recorded nor live; all the course material is online for students to read and interact with the instructor and other students.
- The instructor will primarly interact with students via the website in text. He is also available by phone and email on an as needed basis.
- Students are required to attend the onsite class sessions at the AASP Annual Conference.
- An online comprehensive exam will be made available to students subsequent to the onsite instruction at the conference and open for an announced, limited period of time.
- Students who pass the exam will be provided with a certificate of completion.
Here's what some of the participants had to say about the course:
"Dr. Etzel is an exemplary instructor, it was a pleasure to be a part of his class."
"The online content was not difficult to navigate and Dr. Etzel managed the course very well. He responded to all communication quickly and thoughtfully. I would recommend this course to others."
"This course was well organized, helpful and, overall, a valuable experience."
"I enjoyed the course and found it to be a very useful tool in my overall development as a professional. Dr. Etzel was great, especially in person."
2016 course registration is available through June 3, 2016.
If you have any questions, please contact AASP Headquarters at email@example.com.