The Registry of Approved Mentors is a combined listing of certified and non-certified mentors who have been approved by the Certification Council to provide mentorship to candidates related to the mentored experience requirement. Candidates should confirm that mentors are listed in the Registry and approved by the Council before beginning their mentored experience and ensure that their mentors maintain their Registry listing throughout to avoid the risk of the accumulated hours not being eligible to be counted.
IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO ASK POTENTIAL MENTORS
When contacting CMPCs or approved non-certified mentors for potential mentorship, you may want to request the following information:
- Amount the mentor would charge you per hour for mentorship services
- Manner in which the mentor could provide mentorship hours (e.g., face to face, phone, video)
- Whether you need your own athletes or performers to work with or access to a client base
- The mentor’s experience or special skills, such as working with teams vs. individuals, specialized in working with only one sport or many, level of athletes worked with, conceptual framework
- Any additional requirements the mentor has for mentoring certification candidates (e.g., mentee needing liability insurance)
1. Certified mentors. All CMPCs in good standing are listed in the Registry and approved by the Council to provide mentorship. All certificants are automatically listed in the Registry. New certificants are listed in the Registry immediately upon being approved for certification by the Council. To maintain their listing in the Registry, CMPCs are required to satisfy the recertification requirements every 5 years, including the completion of required continuing education in mentorship/supervision (see the Candidate Handbook for specifics).
Approved Certified Mentors can be identified by state/province, country and specialization using the Find a Consultant database which lists all current CMPCs.
2. Non-certified mentors. Mentors who are not CMPCs can be listed in the Registry and approved by the Council to provide mentorship if they meet established qualifications related to degree, professional experience, knowledge of the field of sport/performance psychology, and mentorship/supervision (see the Candidate Handbook for specifics). Non-certified mentors must submit the Registry of Approved Mentors Application Form to be considered for listing in the Registry. To maintain their listing in the Registry, non-certified mentors are required to renew their registration every 5 years and complete continuing education in professional practice areas, including mentorship/supervision.
Click here to view a list of non-certified mentors.